Thursday, August 8, 2013

Kitchen Remodel...The Reason for the Delays


So...
I know what you're thinking. "Amber, you came back for like two recipes and then disappeared." Well, I'd like to explain that ...and I believe the above picture is worth a thousand words.

Yep, we are re-doing our kitchen. I wish I had a before picture, but I don't. You can kind of see what color they used to be by looking inside them. For those of you who are not aware, re-doing circa 1950 cabinets is a process that is in one word ridiculous.

Whoever varnished the cabinets last varnished over the screws, so there were no longer any grooves for a screwdriver. My poor husband had to use about five different tools to get out each screw.

Then, he sanded all of the cabinets. After the sanding process was complete our entire house had a coat of sawdust. One of my husband's friends came over after the cleaning up of the sawdust blanket and said, "Well, you at least covered the door in plastic, huh?" We just looked at each other and shook our heads. Yeah, that would have been smart. Wish we had thought of such!

Apparently, I am allergic to the varnish or something because I was sick for days after the sanding process.

Before we began painting, my husband patiently spackled and sanded, spackled and sanded... and spackled and sanded some more. At some point during the spackle and sanding days, I really, really wanted some homemade rolls. So, I started gathering the materials needed to accomplish such a task.

Unfortunately, all of our kitchen supplies are all over the house. Cooking involves a bit of a scavenger hunt. Right after my husband moved everything out, I remember asking, "Hey, where are the plates?" Without missing a beat, he said, "Right here," and he reached under the desk in the living room to hand me a plate.


Those of you who have been reading a while have seen my roll recipe. There aren't that many ingredients or supplies.

After 30 minutes of looking for ingredients and supplies, I gave up. I decided that I did not want rolls quite that much.

For example, where can I find a cup? On the couch.


Where are our mixing bowls and pots? In the office.

Baking dishes are there, too...

Cake pans and mixing bowls can also be found on bookshelves in the living room...

Where can I find flour, sugar, etc? In the living room on the coffee table.

What about spices, yeast, and other various food items? In a box...on the floor...next to the TV in the living room.

Where can I find anything else? In garbage bags that have exploded and overflowed into the floor of the office. (In our defense, they were neatly stacked in the garbage bags. We heard a loud rattle and clang in the middle of the night one night. This is what we found. Why fight it?)

I'm still not sure where to find some things...

So... With good reason, all of my cooking endeavors are on hold :)

"So when will the kitchen be complete?" you ask. Well, good question. I am not sure. Let me give you an idea of what we are dealing with. Here are our cabinet doors. "Where are they?" you ask. They are in my in-laws garage of course!

"Have you finished painting them?" Well, yes and no. Yes, they have 2-3 coats on each side. No, because the joint compound is showing through on the front. Soo... Now the front must be primed and reprinted a couple of times.

Maybe our kitchen will be finished by Halloween...
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Wow i see this is a good guide on how to remodel my kitchen too. Thanks for sharing by the way you can try the wolf eel recipe which is a good seafood recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...