Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Slow Cooker Saucy Country Ribs


I was surfing my beloved Pinterest one day, and I saw a recipe that looked interesting. I clicked the link, and it didn't lead directly to the recipe. I had to scroll through several posts to find the recipe I had seen on Pinterest. I was just scrolling along when lo and behold - I see my recipe for Perfect Chicken! There it was - word for word - with a slight nod to Pinterest and no credit to me whatsoever. I was extremely flattered that this person liked my recipe enough to post it on her own blog, but I was also a bit offended that there was no credit to me or my blog...at all. So, I just left a sweet little comment that said, "It might be nice if you gave a little credit to the original author." I checked back after a few days, and there was still no credit to me. Oh well, I tell that tale to say this - this is another recipe that I have made for years, that I know that I originally found on the Internet, and that I have no idea exactly where I found it. I do know that I adapted it slightly, anyway, but I hate it when I cannot give some credit to someone!
 
These country ribs have such a full body of flavor, and they couldn't be easier. They come out so tender that they fall apart if you just look at them, and the sauce is to die for. Try them! You'll like 'em! I almost follow this recipe card. Almost. You should look at the recipe at the end of the post for the way I actually make these :).

Step One: Make the sauce. Chop up some garlic and throw it into a bowl.
 
Ok, so you don't have to throw it. I tend to entertain myself as I cook. What's more fun than throwing pieces of garlic into a bowl on the other side of the counter? Just kidding. I am super clumsy in the kitchen. A post that attests to this fact should be coming soon.


Add brown sugar, celery salt (The celery salt does some kind of magic that is totally unpredictable. I cannot explain it!)...








...Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar...










...teriyaki, and ketchup...










...and then stir it all up! Set aside.










These are country ribs. They are boneless pork ribs. Well, I don't know if they are really ribs or if they are some other cut of meat cut into thick strips. I just know what it says on the package.
Thank you to everyone who endures my babbling non-explanations.





Step Two: Season both sides of the ribs with salt, garlic salt, and pepper.









Step Three: Quarter an onion.
 
I'm going to tell you how I quarter an onion. Is it the right way? It works for me!
 






First, cut off the ends of the onion.









Stand the onion up on one of the now flat surfaces.









Cut the onion in half, and peel the outer skin off the onion.










Lay the onion halves down on the flat.











Cut each of the halves in half.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ta-da! You have quartered an onion. If I could give you a treat through the screen, I would.

 










Step Four: Preheat your crockpot. If you don't you will get little cracks all in your crockpot...see? This crockpot still works; it just isn't as cute as it used to be.







Step Five: Put enough oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet. Heat the oil to med-high heat. When hot, add the country ribs. Brown on both sides. (They will still be raw in the middle.)








Step Six: As you take the ribs out of the oil, put them in the crockpot. Add the onion quarters to the top. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Seven: Pour the sauce evenly over the top.











Step Eight: Cook on low 8 - 10 hours. I usually put them in before I leave for school in the morning, and they are done by the time we are ready for dinner at night. 














When they are done, they look like this.











YUM! Look at that beautiful pile of fall-apart, saucy pork goodness. 










This recipe never leaves any leftovers either. Enjoy!











Slow Cooker Saucy Country Ribs
Click here for printable version
1-1/2 - 2 lb. country-style pork ribs
1 large onion
, quartered
1/2 t. garlic salt
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
canola oil
1/3 c. teriyaki
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 t. minced garlic
1 t. celery salt

1/2 c. ketchup
3 T. brown sugar
2 T. apple cider vinegar


First, make the sauce: In a small bowl, stir together teriyaki, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, celery salt, ketchup, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
 
Preheat crockpot to low. Add enough oil to a large skillet to coat the bottom, and heat to med-high heat. When hot, add the country ribs, and brown on both sides. (They will still be raw in the middle.) As you take the ribs out of the oil, put them in the crockpot. Add the onion quarters, and then pour the sauce evenly over the top. Cook on low 8 - 10 hours.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this delicious looking recipe. I have a similar one using my Aunt's homemade BBQ sauce and I'm always amazed that it doesn't taste like ketchup. I will definitely give these a try.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...