Friday, May 18, 2012

How to Easily, Perfectly Shred Chicken

So, I heard this rumor that there is an easier way to shred chicken. If you haven't heard how I feel about shredding it by hand, here it is: I cannot do it. I have tried. It is not possible. It may be for other people, but not for me! Here is the way that is even easier than shredding it in a little food processor that wants to be a food processor when it grows up:

Step One: fit your mixer with a paddle attachment. Does anyone know if they make paddle attachments for hand mixers? I love my pink Kitchenaid, but sometimes I like to use my ancient hand one. :)
FYI: I made this chicken the same way that I make Perfect Chicken, but I only seasoned it with 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper because I was planning to use this chicken for a simple dish that did not need the other seasonings. It is still pretty and still perfect :)
Step Two: Trim the chicken of tendons (tough parts) before adding to the mixing bowl. There is usually one at the top, and sometimes there will be one all down the side. Then, bring down the paddle attachment...
...and lock it down! (If you don't, the mixer will flail about.)
Step Three: Turn the mixer on the lowest setting first. On this mixer, that would be a "2." If you set it any higher, you will have airborne chicken breasts... Yep, I had one chicken fly right into my chest. Luckily, Pinterest helped me remove the stain. You've gotta love Pinterest...
Step Four: When it has broken up a bit and looks a bit like this, you can turn the speed to a 4. I wouldn't put it any higher, but you are more than welcome to try!
I've said it before, and I will say it again: Patience is a virtue - not a requirement. Look how steamy this chicken was! I should have let it cool a bit longer. Hunger gets in the way of sense.
After about two minutes, your chicken will look like this! PERFECT!
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. what a great idea! such a time saver! do you think you could do this with a regular hand mixer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it before. The next time I need shredded chicken, I will try my hand mixer and let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found your blog today and i cant stop reading! im having a veeeeeery hard time deciding what to make for dinner, your recipes are awesome! im obsessed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...thanks! I am so glad you like it! It makes me happy, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip - how did I not know this!!! Making your Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas tonight - can not wait and THANKS AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...